Tuesday 30 November 2010

Weekly Wrap-Up ~ NaNoWriMo Winners, Canadian History, and a Play Pledge!

I am late again for this wrap-up! We were away for a long weekend, celebrating an early Christmas with family this past weekend and this week my husband is off work!

Here is the wrap-up for last week.

On Monday, Adrienne, Andre, and I focused on writing and finished our NaNoWriMo novels! At final count, Andre had 5,161 words, Adrienne 5,175 words, and I had 50,125 words. We are all not finished with our stories and we will continue writing after a short break. I am very proud of my children for sticking with this challenge. It wasn't easy, but they perservered and won!

On Tuesday and Wednesday, we covered Math and Canadian History. In Canadian History, we read a few Tales (Ti-Jean, The Cremation of Sam McGee). We talked more about the West Coast and the villages that the Natives built there. Adrienne decided she wanted to build one out of popsicle sticks. Here it is so far, she painted a cardboard box and the sticks before glueing them:




As part of Canadian History, we also read about cholera. I read aloud from Outbreak: Plagues that Changed History by Bryn Barnard. We have used this book before, and it is excellent. You can read more about this book on this Book Sharing Monday post.

Even though it was American History, Adrienne and I watched The Alamo, a great historical drama movie, but not for younger children in my opinion. We chose to watch it because it happened around the same time period that we are studying in our Canadian History. It did an excellent job of retelling the battle of the Alamo of Texas, USA. 






Finally, I wanted to tell you about the Play Pledge. This was started by the Unplugged Mom. She posted on her Facebook page the following pledge and invited others to join her:


I pledge to play with my children and encourage imaginative and outdoor play.

I pledge to encourage limited to zero computer, television and video game time.

I pledge to encourage independent creative thought by exercising pretend play and long spaces of time without any artificial media stimulation.

I pledge to learn with my children, more about the natural world around us.

I pledge to cook with my children, read aloud with them and spend time talking and finding out who they are.

I pledge to make crafts and encourage home made gift giving for the Holiday Season.

I pledge to set an example by limiting my computer and television time, creating new things with my hands, learning something new every day and engaging in imaginative play.

Our family has signed this pledge ( I printed and posted on our fridge).
If you would like to read other homeschool families wrap-up posts, please visit Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers.















No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments! Thank you for stopping by.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Labels

Fun home learning book sharing monday family books wordless wednesday nature journey north art wrap-up weekly report Reading nature study holidays photography science geography sketch tuesday canada homeschool report Me pets quilting cooking for our earth DPP Movies outdoor challenge sewing exploring get outdoors Fairy outdoor hour Iditarod birthday challenge math summer celeste journey north 2009 100books Dragon Lego music Princess animals halloween home journey north 2010 lapbook NaNoWriMo author fiesta field trip public school wreck this journal poetry 12 secrets baking birds blogs journey north 2011 spring city curriculum fitness gardening moving black history month bugs earth hour journey north 2012 planning reading my library shutter sisters sled dogs this moment travel unschooling December board games calendar quilt lego quest swap air cadets feeding my family food revolution hockey library recipes what works air show author study award backyard bird count camping dr seuss father's day pirates roald dahl space sports what my children are reading year 5 Ballet DQS6 St Patrick's Day TED talks arnosky basketball biographies eating clean for others geocaching happiness mail medical memory monday orion poems science rendezvous scree-free week 2011 skating spelling winter solstice winterfest youtube 2010 olympics Charlottetown PEI Patricia Polacco Rant appreciation book collecting good deeds helping others hooping hunger games jamie oliver maze nat orchestra peace quilt-along screen-free week snail stamps the next chapter book club video games wilderness wednesday wish wednesday world news writing