Monday 7 June 2010

A nature study treasure found at the thrift store!


I found this little treasure at the thrift store today! When I have a little bit of time, I stop by this store on my way to the grocery store and look at the book section. I usually browse through the children books, then the reference/education, and sometimes the "vintage" books. This last section is where I found this book called Natural Science Through the Seasons by J.A. Partridge (1955 edition). I briefly looked at it, and was interested enough to pay $2.99 for it.
Once I came home, I looked a bit better and noticed that it looked like a wonderful resource for our nature study, especially since it was written by a Canadian from North Bay, Ontario! The book has 100 teaching units divided in the months of the school year, starting with September. These units are all about exploring nature and include activities, poems, ideas for excursions, all for different ages (primary grades, junior and intermediate grades). At the end of each unit there is also a book list.

Each month has a day by day calendar filled with daily activity ideas:

Here is a close up of a few days in June:

Some months also have these "beautify your surroundings" pages: 

This leaf was in the book...I wonder how long it has been safely tucked in these pages, and who put it there?

I came across this page and just loved the illustrations. The book is full of lovely black and white illustrations.


While trying to find more information about this wonderful book, I came across a post at this homeschool blog. I realized I had found a gem, but reading her review confirms it! This will be a great addition to our Handbook of Nature Study book by Anna Botsford Comstock.
The book is dedicated to the author's daughter Joan and to all other girls and boys-and grown-ups-whose lives are being enriched daily by their love of birds and butterflies, of trees and flowers, of clouds and beautiful sunsets-of all things of nature round about them, this book is dedicated.

This old book has found the right home and will be treasured!

7 comments:

  1. This book looks absolutely charming. What a find!
    Blessings
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an AWESOME discovery! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great find! Ann at A Holy Experience shares from this book monthly. How Great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJune 12, 2010

    This looks like a wonderful book for nature study. Was it a Value Village you were at? Because the VV near me doesn't sell hardcovers for less than $4.99, which I think is rather high for a thrift store.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you found a copy! And thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Noah: There isn't an ISBN number anywhere that I could find on this book! It was published by The Macmillan Company of Canada Limited in Toronto and printed by T.H. Best Printing Company, Limited in Don Mills, Ontario.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi... Thanks for posting the June 'ideas' part of the calendar. I downloaded Ann Voskamp's a few years ago when she first posted them, but she didn't post the ideas pages for the months of June, September, October, and November. (By 'ideas pages' I mean that non-dated pages.) Would you consider taking photos of or scanning those months' idea pages and posting them? If not, I totally understand, so please do not feel pressured. I thought I would take a chance. Also, I'm assuming there isn't a July or August because of summer break from school. Does your book have December or January? Ann never posted any of those pages, so I'm assuming that they don't exist. Thanks again for posting! I love the photo of the cover too. A very pretty old book. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments! Thank you for stopping by.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Labels

Fun home learning book sharing monday family books wordless wednesday nature journey north art wrap-up weekly report Reading nature study holidays photography science geography sketch tuesday canada homeschool report Me pets quilting cooking for our earth DPP Movies outdoor challenge sewing exploring get outdoors Fairy outdoor hour Iditarod birthday challenge math summer celeste journey north 2009 100books Dragon Lego music Princess animals halloween home journey north 2010 lapbook NaNoWriMo author fiesta field trip public school wreck this journal poetry 12 secrets baking birds blogs journey north 2011 spring city curriculum fitness gardening moving black history month bugs earth hour journey north 2012 planning reading my library shutter sisters sled dogs this moment travel unschooling December board games calendar quilt lego quest swap air cadets feeding my family food revolution hockey library recipes what works air show author study award backyard bird count camping dr seuss father's day pirates roald dahl space sports what my children are reading year 5 Ballet DQS6 St Patrick's Day TED talks arnosky basketball biographies eating clean for others geocaching happiness mail medical memory monday orion poems science rendezvous scree-free week 2011 skating spelling winter solstice winterfest youtube 2010 olympics Charlottetown PEI Patricia Polacco Rant appreciation book collecting good deeds helping others hooping hunger games jamie oliver maze nat orchestra peace quilt-along screen-free week snail stamps the next chapter book club video games wilderness wednesday wish wednesday world news writing