We will start our sixth year of homeschooling on Monday. I truly have enjoyed every single year. I have enjoyed them, but it doesn't mean that every day has been picture perfect! I thought it might be useful to share with you what I have learned so far about homeschooling.
I find myself repeating the same kind of "advice" to moms that are considering or are just starting homeschooling, so here is my little list (with explanations!):
- Homeschooling is a lifestyle: think hard about it and do your research.
The reason I write that first point is because I feel strongly that it is necessary to do this. I spent almost a year reading about homeschooling before starting. I also met with a local homeschool group at a bowling alley which gave my children and myself a chance to talk with families that were "doing it" already. We then took the summer to try homeschooling. We did small unit studies and workbooks before making our final decision.
- Once you start, give yourself time to adjust to this new life!
- Take it one year at a time, but keep in mind a long-time goal too.
- Bad days happen and it's ok to take a day off sometimes.
- Homeschooling is as expensive as you want it to be.
- Every homeschooling family is unique.
- Learning is fun!
- Don't forget about yourself!
My little list turned into a long post, but I wanted to explain each one of my points. I hope you enjoyed reading this post, drop me a line and let me know your thoughts!